Southern In Law - Australian Lifestyle Blog About Kristy and Jesse - Australian Lifestyle Blog Long Distance Relationship Advice Success Story Healthy Gluten Free Recipe Blog Gluten Free Coeliac Travel Reviews and Recommendations
The Ultimate Board Game Guide  What Should I Read Next The Bookshelf Ultimate Book Recommendation Guide
Want to follow our adventures? Find us on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest!

Reading on your phone or tablet?
This blog is best viewed on the web version. Simply scroll down
and hit "View Web Version" at the bottom of the page - or click for our web home page

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recipe: Flax Banana Yogurt Muffins (with Chobani!)

Flax Banana Muffins with Chobani

 I am a yogurt addict, I eat it at least once daily and never seem to get sick of it. Not only is yogurt good as a snack, dessert or as part of a meal - it's also great in baking! Yogurt makes baked goods really moist and delicious and also adds nutrition (especially protein if you use Chobani) and flavour.

When I saw the apron and oven mitt from Chobani I knew that I had to get baking!
 I spotted the ripening bananas on the fruit stand and knew just what I wanted to bake. Moist, healthy and delicious banana muffins.

What came out of my ideas was what I have affectionately named Flax Cho-nana Muffins. They're the ultimate banana muffin for breakfast and snacks and the recipe can easily be made into a loaf if you prefer! 

These muffins have added nutrition from flaxseed and the protein packed Chobani and they're also low in fat and gluten free!



Flaxseed Banana Muffins with ChobaniFlax Banana Yogurt Muffins Gluten Free

I have always been a fan of banana anything. Banana bread, cake, fresh bananas, frozen bananas - you name it! I always have banana muffins in the freezer for snacks or dessert or to add to yogurt/cottage cheese bowls for breakfast.

After the cyclones and the price of bananas skyrocketed I was devastated! I would still buy them, despite their ridiculous price and treat them like gold - and if anyone took one of my bananas they were dead meat! 

Thankfully, despite my long long list of food intolerances, I can still eat bananas! There's not a day where I don't eat banana in some shape or form and my fruit stand is barely seen without a banana. 

So it's only natural that I have more than one favourite banana muffin recipe, right? This Flax Cho-nana Muffin recipe also makes a delicious loaf of banana bread - I'm just a muffin girl :P and these are my current favourite healthy, gluten free banana muffins!

Low Fat Gluten Free Chobani Banana Muffins

Flax Banana Yogurt Muffins or Flax Cho-nana Muffins - GF/low fat/eggless
makes 12 deliciously moist and flavoursome muffins

2 cup GF pancake mix/GF flour/plain flour/wholewheat flour 
1 tsp baking soda 
2.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 large bananas, mashed (about 1.5C mashed) 
1/2 cup Chobani plain greek yogurt (will also work with vanilla yogurt/plain yogurt etc)
1/4 cup applesauce 
1/4 -1/2 cup brown sugar (if you don't like things sweet, use 1/4C - for regular tastes use 1/2C)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F.
Prepare muffins tins (grease or line). 
In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, ground flaxseed. 
In a medium bowl mash banana and add yogurt, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Mix together wet ingredients until combined and pour into dry. 
Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined and pour into muffin cups. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are browned and a skewer inserted removes clean. 

So tell me, are you a muffin/cupcake fan or do you prefer slices of cake or breads?

I'm known as The Muffin Queen when it comes to baking for myself and The Cupcake Queen when it comes to baking for others. I love single serve anythings - they're so much cuter!
 

    
   


13 comments:

  1. how delightful! I love using yoghurt in baking like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have bananas, yogurt, and flax at home.i am making these tonight thanks babe xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never even heard of Chobani until I read it about on your blog! These muffins look gorgeous and so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like greek yogurt give Chobani a try - its the thickest and creamiest I've found! Also, it freezes really well so it'd be great in your Zoku quick pops!

      Delete
  4. Is flax seed absolutely necessary? It would save me a trip to the store if not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can leave it out, I just find it often holds the moisture better. You may need to use a little extra flour if the mix is too wet though.

      Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  5. Great post! We are linking to this particularly great content
    on our website. Keep up the great writing.

    Also visit my web page; atlaslm.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would two eggs stand in for flax and the applesauce and one of the bananas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't recommend subbing out any of the bananas as it will take away from the flavour of the cake.

      You can leave the flax out if you don't have it/don't want to use it - it's more of a flavour addition than binding.

      As for the applesauce, that also brings sweetness and moistness to the muffins without sugar - you could use an egg to replace it, however, you'd change the texture slightly.

      Delete
  7. I made a batch of these last night, and even though I overcooked them a tad (whoops!), they are still delicious tasting. I look forward to reading your blog everyday, and I totally agree with you about nut butter making everything better (I'm a PB girl myself!)

    Thanks for posting so many healthy recipes that are still tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam,
      I am so glad you loved them - and I'm so glad you love the blog too! You're a sweetheart! xx

      Enjoy!

      Delete

There is nothing better than reading your comments on our posts! Let us know what you think of this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...