Southern In Law - Australian Lifestyle Blog About Kristy and Jesse - Australian Lifestyle Blog Long Distance Relationship Advice Success Story Healthy Gluten Free Recipe Blog Gluten Free Coeliac Travel Reviews and Recommendations
The Ultimate Board Game Guide  What Should I Read Next The Bookshelf Ultimate Book Recommendation Guide
Want to follow our adventures? Find us on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest!

Reading on your phone or tablet?
This blog is best viewed on the web version. Simply scroll down
and hit "View Web Version" at the bottom of the page - or click for our web home page

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recipe: Blueberry Ricotta Muffins

Healthy Blueberry Ricotta Muffins

Did you know that tomorrow (July 11) is Blueberry Muffin Day? I don't care if it's an American food holiday - blueberry muffins deserve a celebration! 

Blueberry Muffins are so good, in fact, that they're the official State Muffin of Minnesota. I think it's fair to say they're one of my favourites too! 

The recipe I'm going to share for you makes slightly different blueberry muffins to what you might be used to - but so much better! They're light and fluffy and really moist thanks to the ricotta and they also have a delicious vanilla flavour that goes perfectly with the blueberries! 

Gluten Free Blueberry Ricotta Muffins

They're the perfect muffins for snacks and desserts and would be a perfect addition to any tea party. These delicious blueberry muffins are also low in fat, eggless and can be gluten free or easily made with regular flour. 

Also, you should know that while I make my recipes gluten free for myself, I also test out the wheat versions to make sure you won't have any baking disasters! They all work either one, unless specified!  I also generally use GF buckwheat pancake mix (or my own buckwheat mix) as I prefer the flavour, but I try them out with gluten free flour mixes too! :)


Low Fat Blueberry Ricotta MuffinsBlueberry Ricotta Muffin Recipe

 Blueberry Ricotta Muffins gluten free/low fat
makes 12 delicious moist blueberry muffins
2 cups gluten free pancake mix/flour mix/regular flour/wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt 
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 
250g tub ricotta* (around 8 1/2 oz)  
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup cane sugar/white sugar
Around 1/4 cup water or milk (this will depend on your flour/climate/etc)
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. 
In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. 
In a medium bowl mix together applesauce, ricotta, vanilla and sugar until combined.  
Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients, adding enough water/milk to combine if needed.
Fold in blueberries and spoon batter into muffin cups. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes clean.

Note: I've tried this recipe with full fat and low fat (2%) ricotta, but never fat free ricotta - so I can't vouch for how well fat free ricotta would work! 

So tell me - what's your favourite type of muffin? 

I'm partial to a traditional blueberry muffin, though lately my cinnamon roll muffins have taken top spot - I'm addicted! 

    
   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

There is nothing better than reading your comments on our posts! Let us know what you think of this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...